Gaviscon Infant Sachets - 30
Gaviscon Infant Sachets - 30
Gaviscon Infant Sachets is a product used to relieve symptoms of reflux in babies and infants
- Simple dosage system
- Fast acting
- Compact and Portable
NOTE: After selecting this product, you will need to complete a short assessment, so we can make sure this medication is suitable for you. Pricing is provided as a reference only. The final decision on issuing this medication remains with our Prescriber / Pharmacist.
About Gaviscon Infant
The Gaviscon family of medications is used in the treatment of acid reflux. The Gaviscon Infant comes in a sachet form and works in the same way. Gaviscon Infant contains 2 main ingredients to treat reflux:
- sodium alginate
- magnesium alginate
By creating a protective layer on top of the stomach contents, acid is prevented from being brought back up to the oesophagus which can result in the painful 'heartburn' sensation often associated with indigestion and reflux.
Infant reflux is quite common in babies and is a self-limiting condition, which means that it usually resolves on its own. The condition is commonly seen before an infant is 8 weeks and it is usually resolved when the child is 1 year old.
The symptoms of infant reflux are the following:
- The child is sick or milk is brought up shortly after/during feeding
- During feeding the child has a cough or hiccups
- During a feed, the child is restless
- After the child has been fed/burped, they are gulping/swallowing
- The child is crying and is unsettled
- The child is unable to put on weight as they are unable to keep their milk down
- If the child has symptoms of reflux but is not being sick or their milk is not being brought back up then this is termed silent reflux.
- Seek advice/support from your health visitor
- Whilst you are feeding the child, hold them upright (they should be continuously held this way after they have fed for as long as possible)
- If your child drinks formula milk, feed them smaller feeds more regularly
Ensure your child is sleeping flat on their back (not on their sides or stomach) and ensure their head is not raised
- Visit the following nhs website links about breastfeeding advice and bottle feeding advice
Gaviscon Infant is a widely used and effective acid reflux medication for infants however every patient can respond differently to medication. If you find Gaviscon Infant is not effective for your child, you should get advice from your gp.
How do I use Gaviscon Infant Sachets? - One sachet should be mixed with 4oz of formula milk, and given to the baby as normal. For breastfed babies 5ml of boiled and cooled water should be mixed with one sachet to form a paste, then a further 10ml of boiled and cooled water added to creat a liquid.
My baby is a premature baby, can they use Gaviscon Infant Sachets? It is not recommended for babies who are premature, and also for children above the age of 2 years.
What are Gaviscon Infant sachets?
Gaviscon infant sachets are used to help treat the effects of gastric reflux. The medication comes in individual sachet format and the medication contains 2 main ingredients, Sodium Alginate and Magnesium Alginate, to treat reflux.
Both ingredients work by balancing out the levels in the stomach, and therefore reducing the risk of reflux in the throat leading to pain and discomfort.
Who is Gaviscon Infant Sachets suitable for?
Gaviscon Infant sachets are suitable for infants aged between 1 and 2 years of age. If your infant is allergic to any of the ingredients in the medication it should NOT be used. It is advised that you speak to your own Doctor before giving this medication to make sure it is suitable for your child.
How do I give Gaviscon Infant Sachets?
The amount of Gaviscon infant sachets differs depending on the size of the infant as well as the current method of feeding.
If your infant weighs over 4.5kg then you would use 2 sachets per serving, if your infant weighs below this then it would be 1 sachet per serving. Depending on the current method of feeding the recommended guidelines are as follows.
Bottle Feeding - Mix either 1 or 2 sachets into 115 ml of milk in a bottle and shake well before serving.
Breastfeeding - Prepare each sachet in 5ml of cooled, boiled water and leave until it forms a paste effect, then add another 10ml of cooled boiled water and mix together. It should then be given to the infant midway through breastfeeding or a meal using either a bottle or spoon, whichever is easier.
Side affects are extremely rare with Gaviscon Infants Sachets, but it has been reported that an infant may experience constipation of diarrhoea. If this does occur you should stop giving Gaviscon Infant Sachets to the infant.
Do not use Gaviscon Infant:
- If your baby was born prematurely
- If your child is allergic to ingredients
- If your child is being sick, has a fever or diarrhoea
- If you have been told or it is suspected that your child has damage to their kidneys or
- If your child has been put on a low salt diet (each sachet contains roughly 21 mg of sodium)
- If you have been told that your child has a blockage in their gut
- If your child is taking any other feed thickening agents (including thickening agents in their milk)
Before taking any medicines, regardless of whether they are over the counter or prescription-only, it is essential always to read the patient information leaflet.
Order before 15:30 for next day delivery